Cello Repair Side Project

My son's cello broke, and the repair person asked $350 to fix the $400 instrument.

As I had nothing to loose I decided to try to pry the cello open and fix it. I had some trouble opening the cello, but the repairs went well. I fixed the bass bar and glued and reinforced the crack. Then I colored the crack with a marker so it is less visible.

I am not setup to use hot hide glue, so I used liquid hide glue. It is holding well, the only problem being the smell, which got better with time.

The hardest part was to put the soundpost back without any special tools. I has to use kitchen utensils to put it back.

My son claims that the cello plays better then ever.

back to the guitar making page


back to the guitar making page